Habits

Our days are basically made up of our habits, good and bad.  We go on auto pilot through our days where things we do, have just become a HABIT.  IE, brushing teeth, going to work, coffee every morning, donuts in the staff room at break, etc.   I recently read the book “The Power of Habit”  It was a really good read, and I challenge everyone to give it a read.

It basically says, to change your life, you must change your habits.

Habits are built off a reward system.  To try to replace bad habits with good ones, you have to replace the habit that takes your urge away, with a healthier habit, but still receive the same reward.

I used to have a really productive week, or day, and come home to drink wine as my “reward”.  Now, instead I will do something good and healthy to my body, like buy a new item of clothing, go to the gym, get all my to-do list checked off.  And the feeling at the end is still the same reward I have been looking for.  Relaxation, contentment, feeling proud, feeling happy.

Lately I’ve been trying to add new simple, small habits into my morning/evening routines to become healthier and happier, instead of taking on everything all at once.

I am a person who loves  to overhaul all my bad habits in one day, start fresh and go at it with gusto!  That is, until I get a craving, or tired, cranky, bored, lazy and then just as fast as my motivation started, it waned.

I’ve done this with plenty of thing, cleanses, “diets”, beauty regimes, work out schedules, monthly goals..

I realized I can’t be so black and white anymore, I have to find a happy balance, and start incorporating small do-able daily habits to my life, and over time, those bad habits will naturally fall away!

So far my daily goals are:

  • protien shake everyday
  • take all my vitamins everyday
  • take off makeup, wash face and brush teeth every night
  • drink glass of warm water with lemon first thing every morning
  • drink as much water as I can

I challenge everyone to take inventory of their habits, even the ones we do on autopilot, and consider if any of these habits need shaking up!

Much love, xo

 

 

My Top Fitness Tips

  • Create a plan, and stick to it, consistently.
  • Find out your maintenance calories, minus 500cals and start eating that amount of calories a day to lose 1-2 lbs per week.  You can use an online calorie calculator.  If you have a lot of weight to lose, you may lose quicker than that.  When we don’t fuel our bodies for success and health they crash! Eating too few calories causes us to be nutrient deficient.   I track my diet on myfitnesspal.com
  • Incorporate exercise into your life.
  • Weight training should be done atleast 3 times per week, and then a REST day in between.  Cardio can we done everyday, but is not necessary at all.  Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • Our muscles are broken down in the gym, and re built when you rest.
  • Try to eat your body weight x 1 in protein per day
  • Play around with macros- high carb vs low carb.. some work better for others
  • Try to eat healthy, nourishing food 90% of the time, and treat yourself the other 10%
  • Nutrition is the NUMBER ONE important thing when trying to get lean.  You can not out exercise a bad diet.
  • You will fail, probably lots of times, DO NOT GIVE UP.  Failures and mistakes are so critical for growth, and each time you fail, you are still closer to your goal, and know so much more about yourself in the process.
  • Weight loss is not a linear equation.. it fluctuates up and down.
  • Don’t be hard on yourself, if you mess up and don’t follow through brush it off and start again.
  • Don’t weight yourself to often, pay attention to how your clothes fit etc.  Weighing yourself can cause you to lose motivation quickly as like I said weight loss is not linear.
  • Muscle weighs more than fat.  Don’t become frustrated if you don’t see the scale moving.  You may still weigh the same, but I guarantee you will be tighter, leaner, and smaller and your clothes will fit different.
  • Enjoy and TRUST the process.  You may stall, or hit plateaus, just shake it up, try new things, go to a new class, be patient, and the hard work will speak for itself!
  • Don’t try to do everything at once, try to incorporate small daily habits and goals.  This is not a crash diet, lose 10 lbs in one week.  It is a healthy, long term way of living.  So if you can’t see yourself sustaining your new plan, it’s not the right one.