I dabbled into my first yoga class about 2 months before I got sober, and have been going religiously ever since. I believe beginning my yoga practice around that time was meant to happen (as I believe everything happens for a reason). I believe yoga helped me get sober, and is helping to keep me sober. Yoga is now a huge tool in recovery for me.
The ways yoga has benefited me are endless.
- I can quite my mind and give back to my body for 1 hour a day, and everything else sits outside the door.
- I feel so light and happy when I leave yoga
- I know I am doing my body, mind and soul wonders
- I am SO MUCH more flexible, and thoroughly enjoy stretching now
- My confidence has sky rocketed- each new pose I can do or the further in my splits I get, I feel a great sense of accomplishment
- It is restorative and leaves you feeling rejuvenated
- Helps to uncover emotional blocks and feelings we have buried deep down (so critical in recovery)
- Teaches me to sit through discomfort instead of running from it
- Stretches out my hips, joints, ligaments and any stress hidden in those areas
- Helps you to connect with people maybe you normally wouldn’t (not my party friends)
- Yoga is transformative, and many addicts need to replace old wounds and hurts with new joy and happiness.
- Yoga teaches me discipline, and to be patient
- Is a GREAT stress and anxiety reliever
- Yoga makes you feel POWERFUL- and like I can take on any new challenge
- Yoga makes me feel whole again
These are just SOME of the benefits I have noticed since I started yoga. I incorporate it with my weightlifting and cardio and it gives me a wonderful feeling of balance in all areas.
Cheers to yoga!
Much love, xo